It is official, we have two toddlers running amuck in the Nevers household! The birthday was a success and we want to say THANK YOU to everyone that made it special for our ladies. I am honestly still in shock that they are one. Some days it feels like they should be 30 and others I'm pretty sure they aren't older than 3 months but that's the joys of growing up I suppose. These little ladies melt our hearts on a daily basis. Typically if they are up to no good they know to give you a big grin to help make everything better. But anyways, let's get back on track to why you stopped by our lovely blog...the MONSTER PARTY!
So as many of you know, I'm currently obsessed with Pinterest. I think I started pinning 1st birthday ideas when they were 6 months. Finally around 10 months I made the decision that since our ladies loved making monster noises that it was only appropriate that we celebrate turning one with a Monster Party! So first I put Grandma Sharon in charge of cupcake/cake fun. In case you haven't had a chance to try it yet, my mom has voodoo magic that she uses to make the best cupcakes and cakes in the world. She is also where I get my crafty spirit from so you can see from the pictures below she does not lack creativity. For her assistant, she choose Grandma Jane to help:
![]() |
| Grandmas @ work! |
![]() |
| Coming together! |
![]() |
| FABULOUS results! |
And of course for every first birthday, smash cakes are a requirement...I think...and of course Grandma Sharon did not disappoint:
![]() |
| Lucy's |
![]() |
| Emily's |
While the Grandmas were at work, I was busy with the rest of the decorations. Dan decided that paying for printables was ridiculous so kindly and patiently created monsters in PDF, printed them, and cut them all out. Have I mentioned lately how awesome of a dad this guy is?! You can see some of the handy work of the monsters in the picture below plus some of my Pinterest fun, including a #1 made of pictures and a banner with their individual monthly pictures from the year:
Plus, once again Grandma Sharon tapped into her crafty side and made the following posters for the girls' one year pictures:
They turned out way better then we imagined! Once we got all the decorations up and food set out our party guests arrived! Although apparently Dan didn't give me any pictures of people mingling so you will just have to believe me.
So the main event of these parties is obviously the cake madness. Our friends the O'Neils kindly gave the ladies some fabulous diaper covers and headbands to make the event a little more fashionable:
![]() |
| Ready for cake! |
When Dan and I were making our predictions we both decided that Emily would likely be the one that made a mess of her cake. Despite her initial eating methods, now that we have introduced the real solids...she tends to shovel things in her mouth...especially pancakes...so we were quite surprised at the end result:
![]() |
| Um, Lucy do you see what they gave us?! |

Needless to say Lucy enjoyed her WHOLE cake and Emily decided a few bits and pieces were enough for her. We had a quick bath and were back to the party in no time!
Although we soon found out that the reason that Emily might have just picked at her cake was that she was in need of a nap...
Thankfully Aunt Julie came to the rescue and although she slept through the present openings...Lucy didn't mind picking up the slack!

Thank you Will for being our photographer so we both could enjoy it and thank you Danielle for suggesting it :)
Lucy was kind enough to save Emily a few presents to open up once she woke up:
So once again, thank you everyone! A special thank you to Grandma Sharon, Grandpa Frank and Grandma Jane for making the trip up from Indiana to celebrate with us! We missed everyone else that couldn't make it! That my friends is the Monster Party Recap! We will be back soon (I think) with what we did for their actual 1st birthday, doctor visit updates, and potentially a 1st year picture if we get around to taking it soon (oops!). And with that, for your random picture of the post...I will leave you with the best gift bag of the party:
![]() |
| Thanks Tetsell Clan :) |




















Dan-I didn't know you were addicted to Pinterest too!!! Oh, the email said Dan but I think maybe Jenny wrote this?
ReplyDeleteThe party was awesome and everyone had a great time. You guys did a fabulous job on everything!! I was happy to help and so very happy I could be there to not only celebrate your ladies turning 1 year old but also to honor you both for the long and sometimes painful journey you took to get to this day of celebration :-) You are both wonderful parents with two beautiful, happy little girls who bring so much joy to all of us! Can't wait until next weekend!!!! X and O to all of you...Bob included!
Yes, Jennifer wrote this. :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how big they are. miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteGreat party!! You all did a fantastic job from the food to the decor. :) I can't believe the girls are already 1!!
ReplyDeleteThe pic of Julie and Emily is super cute too!